Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

fine china

i don't know what your feelings are about fine china, but mine are not those of love.  now don't get me wrong, i think it is beautiful and fancy, but it is just not me.  i was persuaded to register for it when mark and i got married (six years ago), and i knew better.  i think it is more of an older generational thing to use fine china.  now don't get me wrong, if you have your grandmother's fine china, that is certainly special and a neat family heirloom.  i am talking about myself, at twenty two, registering for new china.

i also registered for my most favorite dishes (pottery barn emma dishes in white), and my forward thinking plan was that i can always dress those up to have a "fancy" table.  i LOVE my white dishes...i can eat pizza off of them or our christmas dinner complete with linen napkins, napkin rings, place cards, and beautiful centerpieces.  and a bonus--if i break a dinner plate, it will cost me $12 to replace it!

i love to have people in my house all of the time...friends, family, spend the night company, playdates, you name it.  i always want my home to feel warm, welcoming, and authentic, so for me, that means having things inside of it that help make that vision a reality.  so although my 10 place settings of lenox opal innocence china is truly gorgeous (and something i would still pick today if i wanted china),  i am on a mission to sell it and get rid of it.  it is stacked perfectly in the cabinets above my fridge, but why?!  even if i have space for things, it doesn't mean i should have them!  i have spoken to a few mentor women in my life, and they have all echoed the same thing, "i have it, but i haven't used in the 25 years we've been married."

so, my challenge for us today is...what do we have in our homes that takes up space but isn't something we're using or that reflects us?  i am practical and a minimalist by nature; i also have strong feelings of being good stewards of our property.  i am on a mission to sell, give away, or throw away stuff in my house that just takes up space.  it's the stuff you have because "you're supposed to have it" or because someone gave it to you and you feel badly to give it away--not because it's special to you.  or even better, it has a spot, so why not just keep it?!

here's to the first day in august and being intentional with the belongings in our home, how they reflect us, and how they enhance our family's vision!  that being said...anyone looking to buy china?! ;)

2 comments:

  1. i'm assuming you've read "the life changing magic of tidying up," yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no i haven't! should i add it to my list?! :)

      Delete